Everyone suffers with M.E differently so not everyone suffers with all the same symptoms or the same degree of severity in those symptoms. Some of the symptoms include..
- Extreme exhaustion, debilitating fatigue – Up to the point of collapse. Can not just push past it. Not like normal tiredness, sleep or rest does not refresh
- PEM (Post-exertional malaise) – Fatigue that is delayed by a day or two after too much activity also known as payback
- Muscle pain – Intense pain in all muscles in the body but particularly legs and arms
- Bone pain
- Nerve pain – Skin often too painful to touch or to have clothing or bedding on.
- Stiff and painful joints
- Poor mobility
- Muscle weakness – All throughout the body
- Poor gross motor skills and fine motor skills
- Muscle tremors and spasms
- Cognitive difficulties – Impairment of concentration and short term memory. Difficulty processing information and retrieval of the right words, commonly known as ‘brain fog’
- Loss of temperature control – Constantly fluctuating between too hot or too cold
- Swollen glands
- Sore throat
- Ear ache
- Light, noise, taste, smell, touch sensitivity – Often have to be in a dark and quiet room without movement
- Weak immune system – Pick up viruses easily
- Sleep dysfunction/Insomnia
- Flu like symptoms constantly
- Digestive problems/Food intolerance
Sadly, because of all the symptoms there is a loss of a normal existence so it can be lonely and isolating. It affects every part of your life including work, education, social life, hobbies, friendships and for some there is a battle against ignorance.